A Bit On Fasting…
Whether this is your first fast or it is a discipline you have held for years, we trust this fast will be a time of breakthrough personally and will strengthen our church body as we embrace the journey together. Know that you are not alone. We encourage you to trust God in the fasting process, step out and seek Him in this way. We wait with great anticipation to hear what He has done in and thru you during this time.
What is a fast? Fasting never manipulates God. It is so important that when we go into a fast we don’t go into it thinking we can earn God’s blessings. We can never earn the blessings of God– that comes from the grace of God and the blood of Jesus that releases the blessings. Fasting prepares you for God’s answer. Fasting prepares your heart to say, “not my will but yours be done”. Fasting moves you into a position of humility – to serve and love God. When we biblically fast we increase our receptivity to His voice and His word.
What does this look like for me? Although a true Biblical fast is going without food, the principle of abstaining from something in order to pray and seek God is an honorable practice. While we encourage you to do a Full Fast, we understand this is not possible for everyone, so we encourage you to find a plan you can do for the full seven days. Whatever you choose to do, make sure to consult a medical professional before making any drastic dietary changes. It is essential that you spend time every day on your own in prayer. Fasting without prayer is just a diet.
TYPES OF FASTS: You can select from three types of fasting
- Full Fast — Drink only liquids
- The Daniel Fast — Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water and juice. Eat fruits and vegetables.
- Partial Fast — A partial fast is from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or from sun up to sundown.
Here are a few tips that may help during our corporate fast:
- Make a list of the items you’re praying about throughout the fast.
- Establish a specific time & place that you will spend in prayer, worship or study with the Lord each day.
- Make a list of the foods and beverages you want to abstain from.
- Make a list of the go-to foods and beverages you will allow yourself to have.